SBG01 heat flux meter
Water cooled heat flux sensor
SBG01 is a water cooled sensor that measures heat flux. The ISO standards call this a heat flux meter. Introduced in 2008, SBG01 has rapidly become the sensor of choice for fire testing. SBG01 is mainly used to test reaction to fire and fire resistance. It is also used as a calibration reference standard for test equipment, for example in flammability and smoke chamber tests. SBG01 complies with the requirements of the most common ASTM and ISO standard test methods.
SBG01 measures heat flux in the range of (5 to 200) x 103 W/m2. Equipped with a black absorber, heat flux sensors of this type are designed for measurement in an environment in which heat flux is dominated by radiation. Using an open detector, SBG01 is also sensitive to convective heat flux. This contribution is usually ignored. Application in environments with lower than 50 x 103 W/m2 irradiance levels or environments with significant heat transport by convection is possible but requires a careful evaluation of the measurement uncertainty. SBG01’s thermopile sensor generates an output voltage proportional to the incoming irradiance. The sensor is water-cooled. There are 6 models of SBG01; each with a different rated measurement range, calibration reference irradiance level, sensitivity and response time. Water cooling is usually supplied by tap water. There are several optional body designs. The standard body is equipped with a flange. Common options are a smooth cylinder body without a flange (model -C) and threaded body (model –T). Also a thermocouple (type T or K) can be fitted upon request.
Next level technology
SBG01 has a novel sensor design, which combines the benefits of foil technology of the traditional Gardon gauges with those of the thermopile technology of the traditional Schmidt-Boelter gauges. SBG01 has several advantages:
- robust and serviceable water tubes
- scratch resistant absorber coating (slightly lowered surface)
- safe storage with a practical protection cap
Click on drawing in Gallery for SBG01 dimensions: (1) Coated sensing element, (2) water cooling tube, Outer diameter tube: 4,2 mm, (3) signal cable. Standard cable length is 2 m. All dimensions are in mm.
SBG01 has rapidly become the sensor of choice for fire testing. SBG01 is mainly used to test reaction to fire and fire resistance. It is also used as a calibration reference standard for test equipment for example in flammability and smoke chamber tests.
Hukseflux provides a traceable calibration. The reference standard at Hukseflux is of secondary standard level. It has been calibrated by comparison to the primary standard of the RISE Research Institute of Sweden AB (formerly known as Statens Provningsanstalt (SP)). SBG01 sensors as supplied by Hukseflux are calibrated according to ISO 14934-3. Hukseflux is ISO 9001 certified, but not an accredited measurement laboratory according to ISO 17025.
- rated measurement range (5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200) x 103 W/m2
- longer cable (specify total cable length in m)
- high temperature cable rated temperature range to 400 °C (specify length in m)
- type T or type K thermocouple connected to instrument body (specify –TCT or - TCK), wire exiting next to signal cable. Wire diameter 0.5 x 10-3 m
- smooth cylindrical body without flange (specify – C)
- threaded cylindrical body without flange (specify – T), thread 1-12 UNF
Are you interested in one of our products?
Are you interested in using one of our products and do you still have some questions open?
Or would you like to get a quote?
- heat flux
- Measurand in SI units
- irradiance in W/m2
- Sensor technology
- both Gardon and Schmidt-Boelter
- Rated cooling water temperature range
- 10 to +30 °C
- Rated cooling water flow
- > 10 l/h (0.003 l/s)
preferably 30 l/h (0.01 l/s)
- Rated measurement ranges
- (5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200) x 103 W/m2
- Response time (63 %) at different measurement ranges
- 5, 10 x 103 W/m2
- < 450 x 10-3 s
- 20, 50 x 103 W/m2
- < 250 x 10-3 s
- 100, 200 x 103 W/m2
- < 200 x 10-3 s
- Limiting measurement range
- 150 % of rated measurement range
- Output signal
- DC voltage
- Output signal range
- > 5 x 10-3 V at rated measurement range
- Spectral range
- 0 to 50 x 10-6 m
- Full field of view angle
- 180 °
- Black coating emissivity
- > 0.95
- Calibration traceability
- to ITS-90
- Calibration laboratory
- -management system certification
- ISO 9001
- not accredited
- Calibration method
- SBGC secondary calibration method according to ISO 14934-3
- Standard cable length
- 2 m (see options)
- Order code standard version
- SBG01/rated measurement range/cable length